Another journey begins.

On Wednesday 14th September I begin another camino with my friends Julie and Pam.  Out plan is to fly in Barcelona, spend the afternoon doing chores such as obtaining sim cards for phones and tablets.  After a nights rest in Barcelona we will catch the train to San Sebastian, in the Basque country.  The next day we head further into the Basque hills to the village of Loyola from where we will begin our Camino.

We will be following the path of of Saint Ignatius the founder of the Jesuit order.  The three of us will continue along this way initially through the mountains of the Basque region, walking backwards for about 15 kms on the Camino Frances near Logroño, passing through the city of Zaragoza, climbing the holy mountain of Montserrat and ending in Manresa, a day's walk further on and not far from Barcelona.  We are all looking forward to hearing the famous boys choir at Montserrat.

Travelling onto Barcelona (by bus!) Julie will leave us, having been met by her husband Jim, and Pam and I will make our way to Ponferrada.  Here it is our plan to turn south off the Camino Frances and make our way along the very much less traveled way of the Camino de Invierno to one of our favourite cities - Santiago de Compostela.

Our gear is organized, with Pam and I both carrying new Osprey AG50 packs (50 litre), Julie using one of my older ones, and carrying is somewhere between 7.5kgs - 8.5kgs. The weather forecast indicates the extremely hot weather is due to end around the day we arrive and we are hoping that the cooler weather continues as we begin our journey.  The distance is about 650 kms along the Camino Ignaciano and around 300 kms along the Camino de Invierno.

This is the first post on my new blog.  New posts will start once we arrive in Spain later in the week.

Comments

  1. I look forward to following this new journey very much! Have you been to Montserrat before? I took a day trip from Barcelona- the landscapes above it are quite unique- and it seemed to me I understood Gaudi's 'chimney' inspiration once I had been there.
    The link for following by e-mail didn't seem to work for me, but I have bookmarked your blog on my toolbar where I can readily check it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing of your travels again Janet. I've been enjoying the book " The Year We Seized the Day" by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles and their journey through Spain. Have a wonderful pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe journey, and enjoy. Hope the weather is kind, else the vino will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have an amazing adventure all three of you! I'm camping in the flinders at the moment so won't have a chance to see you before you go. Hope you love the Osprey pack as much as I did! Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A new journey begins

Monforte de Lemos to Rodeiro.

Two long days from Rodeiro to Ponte Ulla.